The Parrot Disco is blended wing aircraft. Simple smooth flight via Paparazzi
The Trashcan is a racing quadrotor. Of the shelf hardware and can run Paparazzi
The NoVa is an attitude stabilized quadrotor. It utilizes paparazzi hardware as well as a 6DOF IMU.
The FunJet is a new electric pusher-prop model from Multiplex made of durable and CA safe Elapor foam. It offers plenty of room internally for avionics in an attractive package.
ENAC Solar Storm
The Telemaster is a great platform for a new Paparazzi user. It provides a stable platform to help a new user get used to the amazing Paparazzi system.
The Jet powered is a special implementation of the Paparazzi system. The TWOG produces a very stable flight with only IR sensors for this huge glider.
The Hobbyking Bixler is a cheap copy of the Multiplex EasyStar. It is very inexpensive, easy to obtain and provides superbly easy flying for beginners. Moderately high payloads are possible.
The Bixler is a five channel aircraft with Aileron, Rudder and Elevator.
|Build by the Geophysical Institute of the University of Bergen, Norway.|
It uses industry standard sensors for temperature, air pressure, humidity and wind speed/direction as well as more specialized sensors as infrared/visible light radiation, particle concentration or ionizing radiation (full list). It has been used in many measurement campaigns by various research institutions.
The installation of autopilot, sensors and modem is described here.
Misc Airframe Notes
MotoCalc is an Electric Flight Performance Prediction program for Windows and is available for a 30 day free trial. MotoCalc has an internal database of thousands of motors/props/etc. and can make power/flight predictions based on data input.
Electric Motor Calculator by Diversity Model Aircraft is a free online tool for matching props to motors to batteries.
Propeller Thrust Calculator is a free online calculator to give thrust from given propeller and RPM or vice versa.
MultiSurface Aerodynamics is an airfoil and wing analysis software package. The software predicts lift and drag for multiple interacting wings.
Nickel Cadmium (NiCd)
- Energy/Weight: 40-60 Wh/kg
- Nominal Cell Voltage: 1.2V
- Fully Charged Cell Voltage: 1.2V
- Depleted Cell Voltage: 0.8-1.0V
Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMh)
- Energy/Weight: 30-80 Wh/kg
- Nominal Cell Voltage: 1.2V
- Fully Charged Cell Voltage: 1.35-1.4 V (unloaded)
- Depleted Cell Voltage: 1.0V
- Energy/weight: 160 Wh/kg
- Nominal Cell Voltage: 3.6 / 3.7 V
- Fully Charged Cell Voltage: 4.2V
- Lowest Cell Discharge Voltage Before Damage: 2.4v to 3.0v
Lithium-Ion Polymer (LiPo)
- Energy/weight: 130-200 Wh/kg
- Nominal Cell Voltage: 3.7V
- Fully Charged Cell Voltage: 4.23V
- Lowest Cell Discharge Voltage Before Damage: 3.0V
Typical Power Requirements
- 70W/kg (35W/lb) for sedate flying from hand launch
- 100W/kg (50W/lb) for ground take off
- 150W/kg (75W/lb) for performance / aerobatics
Provided below are some weights to aid in estimating an all up weight for your uav
- Tiny13 1.1 Weight: 25g (0.88oz)
- IR Sensor Head: 5g (0.18oz)
- XBee Pro: 4g (0.14oz)
- Hitec HS-55 Servo: 8g (0.28)
- Brushless Outrunner 250W: ~90g (~3oz)
- FunJet assembled, no hardware: 165g (5.82oz)
- FMA Encore 5ch Receiver: 11g (0.40oz)
- Castle Creations Phoenix 35: 24.5g (0.9oz)